Dental implants are used to replace missing teeth or to provide better support for your dentures. The implant is a titanium post that is placed in the area where a tooth is missing. The implant provides a strong foundation (or anchor) that can then be restored with an artificial replacement tooth or attachment for a denture. The benefits of using a dental implant are that it looks, works, and feels much like a natural tooth.
All steps of the dental implant placement and restoration can be performed in our office. The majority of the implant procedures are done with just local anesthesia. However nitrous, oral sedation, and IV sedation are also available should you need them.
The Benefits of Dental Implants Include the Following:
- Improve self-confidence by replacement of missing teeth.
- Eliminate pressure on gums that lead to painful sores in the area of missing teeth.
- Preserve the healthy tooth structure of your adjacent teeth by eliminating the need to prepare them as anchors for a bridge.
- Help prevent bone loss that occurs where teeth are missing.
- Minimize movement and damage to adjacent teeth by providing additional support.
- Prevent eruption of the opposing tooth.
- Eliminate a loose fitting denture.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Will the procedures hurt?
A: No. Local anesthetic is used during the implant placement to ensure that you will not have any discomfort. After implant placement you will experience minimal discomfort and minimal disruption to your daily life.
Q: How long is the procedure?
A: The initial placement of the implant takes, on average, less than one hour and is performed right here in our office.
Q: When can I return to work?
A: In most cases you can return to work the following day. Some patients have even chosen to return to work the same day.
Q: Do Implants require any type of special care?
A: Implants are much like natural teeth and should be cared for in the same way. Good home care coupled with regular cleanings and check-ups can help to ensure a long life for your dental implant.
Q: What brand implant do you use?
A: We use the best implant for your particular situation. Dr. Sill often uses Astra Tech implants. More information can be found at the following website: www.likenaturalteeth.com.